Wither: A spell cast by the Scarecrow King.
Restricts movement to a single square.
The past week has seen the game transformed from a mostly-stable, silent, hands-on demo to a rock-solid downloadable demo that's alive with sound!
I wanted to be able to send the game to interested bloggers (like the fine folks at Geekenstein) without a full page of stuff "that should be there." I also entered the indie game competition at the Captivate Conference. The game must represent itself well, without me holding its hand, and I think I'm getting pretty close.
After a thorough round of testing, I'll be posting it live to the internet.
Major additions this week (September 8 to September 14)
- Music Manager to handle transitions, fades, etc.
- Audio Manager to handle sound effect calls
- Integrated 18 sound effects. A mix of custom recording, remixes of base sounds, and direct downloads from freesound.org. (note: all sounds will be original on game's release)
- "Quit Chess Heroes" menu now available on all screens (before that was created, you had to kill the process to exit. heh heh)
- Revised cinematic for Upgrade spell to show Pawn transforming
- New cinematic treatment for boss abilities Wither and Riptide
- Revised logo graphic and added "Pre Alpha Demo" to title screen
- Keyboard input to acknowledge instructions, open menus, etc.
Bug Fixes of Note
- Fixed "Unlock All"
- New users no longer get the "Continue" option
- Title screen buttons now sit at screen percentage, instead of fixed height
- Various interface issues cleaned up
- No longer possible to "soft lock" the game using Enrage on a piece with no valid moves
- Indicator arrows match camera rotation
- Camera rotation does not snap back to default after each move
- Cleaned up various issues with spell interface